Tuesday 17 March 2020

Implemetation - Focusing Inquiry 2020

Forcusing Inquiry:
How can I effectively support my learners to be ready for learning (self-control)
and get them to:

  • build fluency and automaticity in writing of letters, and early words accurately
The traditional view of the importance of handwriting is something that our school planned to focus
on last year. I did focus on it but got distracted by learners other learning needs. And so this year,
after Woolf Fisher research mentioned on their report that fluency and automaticity is one of the
challenges for junior school teachers at our cluster, then I thought that this is going to be my focusing
inquiry. 


However, what I have observed and found from my learners is the fact that most are not ready to write.
Holding a pencil, and recognising order of letters in a word are the biggest struggle for these children.
Therefore - my first kind of inquiry is how to get these learners ready to write before fluency and
automaticity.


From previous experience, children who have to consciously concentrate on any element of their
handwriting are unable to give full attention to the other parts of their learning. I am hoping
that when automaticity is achieved (able to write letters/words without having to think), more
cognitive energy can go into the other learning processes.


One thing that I will try not to focus on is the neatness of the handwriting. My focus will purely
on writing fluency and automaticity of letters and words. 

In this video you see what I have been trying to do in the first half of term 1 with my learners.

It summarises the currect situation in my class.



The end result that I am hoping to achieve with the writing interventions mentioned above is
for my learners to be able to use cognitive ideas written clearly in a pace where they do not have
to waste time on thinking about how early words and letters are written.


I can say that I will be doing my best to focus on being ‘ready’ rather than being ‘present’,
and the focus will be on being ‘automatic’ rather than being ‘neat’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Step #1 for identifying inquiry focus for 2022

Unpacking and analysing last year's assessment data in week 5 of Term 1 2022 was essential when the school realised that we cannot colle...