Monday 22 May 2017

Listen Up and Word Walls

Goal: I will use TESSOL strategies such as Listen Up and Word Wall to support my students’ language development and deeper reasoning. This will enable everyone to participate in discussion and write a full sentence independently.


Date: 22 May 2017


Teaching & Learning  (Pedagogy & Ako)
How are you going to do it? What are the deliberate steps.   
(Include DAT, resources, PLD readings, support etc.)
Knowing the learner - LINK
Professional discussions with colleagues
Observation notes
Student work and sharing of understanding

Multiple opportunities: Approaches to teaching writing (Listen Up and Word Wall)



Indicators of progress
(What I’m looking for that shows I’m making a difference to student progress)
  • all students will elaborate their sentences more
  • all students will write more than one sentences
  • students will write their own sentences using known words correctly and record unknown words using letters with confidence.
 

 





Checkpoint

Weeks 4 - 6

Increase in quality of student talk - some can elaborate more and use some topic words correctly. Still I have two who are a bit reluctant to do so without prompting.
All students have attempted to write their own sentence down. Still need work around this. Need to do a lot of 4, 3, 2 so they know their story well before writing it down.

I use Listen Up activity to increase my students words knowledge. Attending to one or few words while listening to a book enables my students to focus and to learn new words.

What I did on this video is an example of how I used 'Listen Up' in my classroom. I wrote words I needed my students to learn on a piece of paper and gave it to them to mark how many times they hear each word from the story I read.



One of the things that I have learned from doing 'listen up' activity is that not to give too many words for students. For my students, I gave 4 or 5 at first and then I have noticed that it was too much. At the moment we are only doing like one or two words a day. 


All students can record more than one letter for unknown words. Sight words are recorded correctly. This is really good because I can see that they have confidence to take risks in writing new words.

Continue 4, 3, 2 & cut up sentences & vanishing cloze - holding a sentence in their head for a while will always be a goal. They need to remember their story very well before they record it down. Ipads help sometimes but yet I have not tried. Next focus will be using of ipads.

I am very pleased with how much words on our walls have influenced my students ability to write. Words on our walls give students confidence and courage in writing stories. I have seen students walking around looking for topic words from the walls. For students to get up and look for words from the wall, for me is really big at this age group. I am very pleased with it.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Step #1 for identifying inquiry focus for 2022

Unpacking and analysing last year's assessment data in week 5 of Term 1 2022 was essential when the school realised that we cannot colle...