What exactly happened in class with my students?
Students stopped whenever they can’t spell an unknown word. They talked during discussions time with the help of the sentence frame but in terms of writing, it was really hard to keep them motivated once they got stuck with a word that they don’t know its spelling.
How did I do it in class?
For 15 minutes every morning, we read a rhyming poem/story, and sang songs. We used some words from our poem to demonstrate clapping hands and record sounds at the same time (on the board). Practice doing that for a while with a small group or the whole class, and allow children to help each other through playing and exploring with peers.
Critique (Pros & Con)
- some students pronounce words differently / wrongly eg. very as fery, think as fing, with as wif etc and so they record it wrongly (Teachers need to be aware of this and praise the child for the effort)
- however, clapping hands enable students to hear sounds
- clapping is fun and children are engaging because it’s like playing
- it was hard for new entrants because they need to know the associate sounds for each letter first (However, I believe that it is fun for them to try and learn from their peers - they don't have to know all sounds and letter names before doing this)
I think overall, clapping of hands to hear sounds help students write their story independently without stopping.
- PV, JJ, PL (3 students) - I need to think of ways to motivate them to be able to do this independently. They can do it with others but lack of courage to transfer what they know and do it when they write independently.
- Need to make children clap and say the unknown words slowly in order for them to hear sounds.. I have noticed that some students are hearing & recording lots of sounds because they are saying words slowly.
- I also believe that with movement, students learn faster and remember things easier than trying to learn without. For example, clapping of hands is a movement that helps students to remember and identify the sounds of unknown words easily.....WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Next learning goal - adding descriptive words to make their story sounds interesting, and give more details to their story.
Share students problems and successes with parents in a way that it helps students and parents to practice doing the same at home.