Friday 24 April 2020

Letter Writing Automaticity

Letter Writing Automaticity ~ Remote Learning

Today marks the last day of week two, and I did something a little different this morning with my leareners through our class site. I recorded myself teaching but instead of introducing a new letter for them to learn I was introducing them the idea of writing the letter really fast (automatically). Our goal is to be able to write the letter automatically without wasting time thinking of HOW a letter is formed.

My inquiry for this year is about 'letter and word writing automaticity". The end result that I'm hoping to achieve is for my learners to be able to write down their ideas fluently and not wasting their time in thinking of how words and letters are formed. Here is a short video clip (not the full video) of what I did. I hope this video encourages / empowers my learners to achieve the result mentioned above.  You can find the full video in our class site.


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Viena
    I like the concept ‘practice makes perfect’. Once students get into that habit, eventually whatever they are learning becomes automatic. Even the instruction. ‘eyes on me’ is a habit. After students have responded enough times to the instruction, they stop whatever they are doing and look at the teacher. It becomes a valuable behaviour to learn and progress.

    I like your ambition. But I’m at a loss how to teach a child how to write letters and and form a word from them at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Teresa for your comment. I read a book before and it was about benefits of exposing young learners to new words at early age. I guess I kind of believe that children may not be able to get all new words correctly but recognising words could become a very helpful strategy for them in the near future.

    I also follow Quick60 Program which has the same idea as I mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete

Step #1 for identifying inquiry focus for 2022

Unpacking and analysing last year's assessment data in week 5 of Term 1 2022 was essential when the school realised that we cannot colle...