Friday 24 February 2017

Talk Moves and Student Talk


Term 1 - Weeks 1-4

Goal (Hunch): Students are not talking in Maths, they cannot explain their thinking, they do not have the Mathematical language to use and at the end, teacher talks a lot. Therefore for the next three weeks, I will use Talk Moves to increase students’ confidence in talking and for them to initiate discussions.

At first I know that most students in my class are ESOL, they are speaking English as a second language and using Mathematical language is too much for them considering their age as well. I attended PDs about how to increase student talk and I found some good reasons why I had to focus on the above idea.


At the end I came across TALK MOVES as a strategy to help increase student talk. Here are details of the 5 TALK MOVES and what to do at each stage.  


Before teaching and using TALK MOVES I set some expected behaviour - indicators of progress to be seen from students at the end of the four weeks. 

Indicators of progress

(What I’m looking for that shows I’m making a difference to student progress)

  • Some of the students will begin to use Talk Moves to initiate discussions and conversations eg. Repeat - Wait
  • Less Teacher talk (teacher - student - student - student - teacher)
  • All students to read at L3
  • Use Mathematical words to explain their thinking

After four weeks of teaching and using TALK MOVES - it was check point time and I had a look at students performance. Using observations notes (Modelling Book) and seeing work on students workbook, I wrote an evaluation.

Checkpoint
Weeks 1 - 4 (17 March 2017)
Evaluation:
  • The students continue to find it hard to initiate conversations. For students to use Talk Moves effectively, I find I still need to show them the words and start off the conversation. Once I have done that, then all students are confident to contribute.
  • There are times that teacher - student - student - student is happening, but most of the time, especially with an unknown topic - teacher talk is needed to build the vocabulary.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Step #1 for identifying inquiry focus for 2022

Unpacking and analysing last year's assessment data in week 5 of Term 1 2022 was essential when the school realised that we cannot colle...